Re: [*FSFFU*] Event Horizon

From: DAVID CHRISTENSON (LDQT79A@PRODIGY.COM)
Date: Wed Aug 27 1997 - 22:42:39 PDT

-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

A little self-examination here. It's an interesting attitude - one in
which I've just participated, on this thread - to criticize an
individual movie for its individual attitudes, as though each movie
should have some sort of universality.

That is, if a Hemingway story offends me in some way, I don't write to
the publishers asking them to revise it. I accept the break with my
world view as an individual's point of view, and let it go at that. But
a mainstream movie is somehow expected to please and entertain the
family-values masses without offending anybody, even me. And meanwhile,
it's become customary for such movies to safely slip in something for
the rest of us - a gay character, a black character, a tough woman
character, etc. - as long as these characters don't slow down the body
count by revealing their inner feelings or something. So when a really
mainstream (read: dumb) movie like Event Horizon (from the maker of
"Mortal Kombat", btw) fails to throw some sociology my way, I get a
little peeved.

What's odd is not that the women characters in Event Horizon are so rote
, but that I've somehow come to *expect* more interesting women
characters in my science fiction movies - Sigourney Weaver, Jody Foster,
Mira Sorvino, etc etc. So maybe we really have come a long way from the
John Agar/Doug McClure days, and it's the *exceptions* that I notice.
Comments?

--
David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

"Yet, throughout the book there exists the whole gamut of strange facts which we ourselves had been aware of for years, all carefully mustered to support a theory doomed by every process of logic to be forever incomprehensible." - Ray Palmer