Re: [*FSFFU*] buying on the net

From: DAVID CHRISTENSON (LDQT79A@PRODIGY.COM)
Date: Wed Aug 27 1997 - 22:59:01 PDT

-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> Hi,
> I have never bought anything over the net. Is it safe? And I
was also
> wondering if the addresses are available for the book sites mentioned.
> Thanks for your help,
> Rebecca

The used-book databases I mentioned are at www.bibliofind.com and www.
interloc.com. At these sites you can email the booksellers or bookstores
offering specific books, asking them to hold the books for you. If they
confirm, you can then treat it like a regular old mail order and mail
them a check, if you don't want to use a credit card on the Net (I don't
).

The used-book world has been doing mail-order business for decades, if
not centuries, and that trade is mostly honest and self-policing, in my
experience. A tip: if the bookseller mentions ABAA membership, it's more
likely you've found an established book person with a rep to protect.
(There are a lot of honest booksellers who aren't in the ABAA, too. I'm
not.)

--
David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

"Yet, throughout the book there exists the whole gamut of strange facts which we ourselves had been aware of for years, all carefully mustered to support a theory doomed by every process of logic to be forever incomprehensible." - Ray Palmer