Re: [*FSFFU*] Event Horizon -Reply -Reply

From: Debra Euler (DEBRA.EULER@PENGUIN.COM)
Date: Fri Aug 29 1997 - 06:57:18 PDT

Nalo Hopkins wrote:
>NH: In this case, I think that the producers' conservatism
backfired. I could be wrong, but my sense is that even 'mainstream'
audiences are not liking the film in droves.

Nalo--
I think audiences don't like the film because it was dumb, not
because there weren't any strong female characters. Look at
Independece Day: all the women were accessories to the men, it had a
dumb plot, but still made gazillions of dollars because it was
exciting. My point is that mainstream SF movies are about 30 years
behind print SF; after all, what's one of the next big movies this
year, but the screen adaption of "Starship Troopers?" Even "Mimic"
is loosely based on a story written over 50 years ago.
Unfortunately, the costly special effects that are seen to be
necessary for the success of SF movies preclude most attempts at the
independent features which push the envelope for characterization and
plot.

Debra Euler