Re: [*FSFFU*] Event Horizon -Reply -Reply

From: Nalo Hopkinson (bl213@FREENET.TORONTO.ON.CA)
Date: Fri Aug 29 1997 - 08:18:32 PDT

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Debra Euler wrote:

> Nalo Hopkins wrote:
> >NH: In this case, I think that the producers' conservatism
> backfired. I could be wrong, but my sense is that even 'mainstream'
> audiences are not liking the film in droves.
>
> Nalo--
> My point is that mainstream SF movies are about 30 years
> behind print SF

NH: Yes, you're right about that. I'd probably find it more interesting
to discuss independent sf film. But it's so much *fun* to dish the big
guys! Anybody seen any independent sf film/video that they think is
grist for this discussion? I always immediately think of Julie Dash's
"Daughters of the Dust." I'll be attending the Toronto International
Film Festival in September, and I'm hoping to stumble across some
speculative fiction there.

-nalo

"There are two kinds of dates; the kind that you go out with, and the
small fruit that you eat."
                                -my aunt