Re: [*FSFFU*] Event Horizon/Star Trek

From: Teragram (dropjohn@TOGETHER.NET)
Date: Fri Aug 29 1997 - 08:43:04 PDT

>This may also be the reason why I cannot watch old Star Trek, in spite of
>the fact that everybody says it is better that New Generation.

YES! I get so tired of watching women having to do their jobs in supposedly
equal society in a) long trailing tripping skirts or b) uniforms that
barely cover their crotches. Not to mention that they rarely get the jobs
with power/esteem, and instead get stuck in the traditional 'nurturing' or
'sex kitten' roles. I can see all that in real life, thanks - and I'm not
happy about it there either, but at least the women I know aren't smiling
about it as they get the coffee.

I grew up watching reruns of the original Star Trek, and, for me, they have
a certain nostalgic quality but I also remember, even then (lo, these many
years ago) feeling dissatisfied with the portrayal of the female
characters. It seemed clear that there was nothing for me to aspire to in
their roles - I feel the same dissatification when I see a current movie or
series that runneth over with heros and villians with the few women
characters reduced to pretty wallpaper and comfort bearers. I can't see
myself - nor anyone I'd want to be - I don't exist in these scenarios, and
neither does any other women I know. Why would I want to watch them?

meg