Re: [*FSFFU*] Event Horizon/Star Trek

From: Tracy Zollinger Turner (tzt@EARTHLINK.NET)
Date: Fri Aug 29 1997 - 09:17:43 PDT

Hi, I am brand-new to this group, but I felt I had to jump right into
this conversation with an anecdote.
When I was a kid, I used to try play "Star Trek" with friends on the
back porch. The problem was, if there was more than one girl playing,
we'd have to fight over who got to be Lt. Uhuru.
I was gleeful in one episode where a Lt. Tracy was introduced, but she
and Dr. McCoy were reduced to cubes (supposedly all of the water content
was taken out) by some alien villain, who crushed one of them. Of
course, it was Lt. Tracy that would not return to life. How scarring!
At any rate, I also wanted to comment on the question about Star Trek
being part of a military complex. It's true... but I think (in Next
Gen., etc.) we find a military that is primarily focused on scientific
research, and reluctant to go into battle. Plus, I think to write off
the show for that reason would be shortsighted, simply because the
writers use that environment to explore very human relationships between
the crew characters themselves and with other species. Plus, Capt.
Picard seems to suffer serious chagrin everytime he is faced with the
prospect of violent confrontation. ST's image of the universe is not
intended to be a Utopian one.
In the world of mainstream entertainment, I have never seen a show that
explored gender roles and cultural difference so sensitively.
—Tracy