[*FSFFU*] science fiction novels critical of robotics?

From: Erik Tsao (etsao@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU)
Date: Sat Aug 30 1997 - 06:11:11 PDT

Kate Williams wrote:
>what would you all
>recommend? I especially want the books that give social critiques and search
>for or present alternatives to today's applications of robotics (i.e.
>eliminate jobs AND shut masses of people out of the economy and out of
>society). I'm worried about extreme cynicism (like snow crash, although its
>on my list cause its so technologically creative) and about books being too
>dense for typical high school kids -- these kids are straight outta toledo
>(ohio).

There are a couple of novels I would suggest. First is Rudy Rucker's
series of novels (important for the beginning of "cyberpunk" sci fi)
starting with _Software_. Then there is Paul McAuley's recent book
_Fairyland_ which is more about organic, artificial robots who are treated
like slaves, and their revolution. And of course there's Philip Dick's _Do
Androids Dream of Electric Sheep_. For more advanced readers Dick's novel
_Valis_ is quite interesting. These are some of my suggestions, there are
probably more that I can't think of at the moment, or are not aware of.

Erik

Erik Tsao
Graduate Student
Department of English
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI

"Penciled purples in the daylit dreams
 wore wool humid and apology bright
 letters in the doorway, arabic at the edges
 the colors of science turned jagged at his cease"

--From "HPL" by Clark Coolidge