Re: [*FSFFU*] science fiction novels critical of robotics?

From: DAVID CHRISTENSON (LDQT79A@PRODIGY.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 02 1997 - 20:11:31 PDT

-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> Quakers are often confused with Shakers and with the Amish (or is it
Omish, as
> you spell it?), though. I believe that the Shakers are more-or-less
> anti-technology.

I'm not so sure about Shakerism - isn't is a subsect of Quakerism?
(Nixon was a Quaker - imagine that.) But the Amish aren't really anti-
technology. They're just selective. They don't want technology that will
change their lives in what they feel is a negative way. So they shun TV
and ownership of private autos, but I believe they're O.K. with public
transportation and bicycles. Seeing Amish teen-agers on rollerblades is
startling, but it makes sense in their world view. Perhaps the rest of
us could learn a lesson from such selectivity.

BTW, if anybody knows of any Amish science fiction, I'd love to hear
about it.

--
David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

"Yet, throughout the book there exists the whole gamut of strange facts which we ourselves had been aware of for years, all carefully mustered to support a theory doomed by every process of logic to be forever incomprehensible." - Ray Palmer