Re: [*FSFFU*] science fiction novels critical of robotics?

From: Allen Briggs (briggs@PUMA.MACBSD.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 02 1997 - 19:40:21 PDT

> I'm not so sure about Shakerism - isn't is a subsect of Quakerism?

Not to my knowledge, but I know very little about Shakers other than
what I found in _Queen City Jazz_ (just finished that this past weekend).

> Perhaps the rest of us could learn a lesson from such selectivity.

Certainly, although one must also look at the broad picture... Public
transportation, bicycles, and rollerblades do not exist in a vacuum.
There is a significant amount of technology and industy behind a single
bike, and I don't even want to speculate on the origins of the materials
used in 'blades. I have had fun trying to apply Ernest Callenbach's
notion of "social cost" from _Ecotopia_. I like it... :-)

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com