Re: [*FSFFU*] SF and Ecology

From: Holly Yasui (hollyy@SPRYNET.COM)
Date: Sun Aug 31 1997 - 20:20:24 PDT

I second the recommendation of Joan Slonczewski's *Door into Ocean* as an
excellent ecological utopia, particularly interesting because the ecology
of Ocean is, in fact, ocean ... their entire existence is predicated on
organic materials (their homes are living things, like in the last book of
the Xenogensis trilogy; their long-distance communication system is based
on "clickfly" insects; those who are fascinated by non-organic materials
are called "stone-sick;" their doctors/engineers are "life-shapers"). I
also found the linguistic and social structure of this society fascinating,
rich in possibilities for sociological/political analyis.

Another book I suggest, though it has not been well-liked on this list, is
Starhawk's *The Fifth Sacred Thing.* Starhawk is a marxist ecofeminist
activist, and her novel portrays a utopia/dystopia conflict that I also
found very juicy in terms of sociology and politics.

I guess both these books are eminently "gaiaist" as described by Emrah ...
happy critiquing!

--Holly