Re: [*FSFFU*] GI Jane

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 11:16:12 PDT

>I also am unclear of the significance of "looking tough" -- I don't know
>why Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton, or Angela Bassett "looked" any
>"tougher" in Aliens, Terminator 2, and Strange Days, (could "tough" mean
>less attractive? They all looked gorgeous!) or why Sinead O'Connor
>doesn't look "tough" with her shaved head.

Probably because Demi, though very in-shape, doesn't look anywhere near as
hard in the body as Hamilton or Bassett. Weaver's in a class by herself
because, while more thin than muscular, she carries a certain weight
because of her height (about six feet even, I think) and she has a way,
with her eyes and, indeed, her whole face, of adding to her imposingness (I
know that's not a word) by affecting a certain expression. Her pronounced
bone structure helps, too, and Hamilton and Bassett have similar bone
structure (pronounced, very strong jawlines, very noticeable cheekbones,
potentially hard eyes). They're all also better actors than Demi, who's
pretty good herself.
        As for Sinéad, she's probably as mentally tough as anybody, but in
her case, her eyes soften some of the "tough" look she might have gotten
with a shaved head. They're very large, brilliantly-colored (blue, right?
Might be green.) and rather warm. That said, Sinéad's a very pretty lady,
I've always thought, but I'd think twice before approaching her because of
her reputation for being very stong-willed which might lead to her deciding
she doesn't like me (like if I say something stupid). I'd like to meet
her, but I wouldn't want her, or any of these women, mad at me.

>However, I disagree with the idea that the movie demonstrated that the
>average woman could be a Navy SEAL. I think it only showed that Demi
>Moore, well known for her ability to amaze fitness trainers, might be able
>to make it. Although I have to say that I don't think the first female
>Navy SEAL will have such absurdly large breasts - they can interfere with
>swimming and real ones would have shrunk with the bodybuilding.
>(or so I've heard).

Interesting, but I don't know that I buy it, although I notice that
Hamilton, Weaver and Bassett (to a lesser extent in Bassett's case) are
relatively small-breasted, which may add to their appearance of hardness.
I would hope that the Navy wouldn't not pick a person simply because their
breasts were too large, whether naturally or due to implants.
        Anyway, the movie was not about the idea that the average woman can
be a Navy SEAL. Nobody who's just average could be a Navy Seal, as I
understand it. The movie was also not about being physically in
extraordinary shape. The body had to be in great shape, but the mind had
to be better, and in this sense, Demi was a great choice: she's in great
physical shape, but not so much so that you notice it as much as you would
with Hamilton, Weaver or Bassett. This works to Demi's favor because the
viewer is able to more easily get past her body and notice how mentally
tough her character is (I'm not saying anything against Weaver, Hamilton or
Bassett. They all, incl. Demi, had to be extraordinarily mentally tough to
get as far as they have in movies.).

 I'd be interested in hearing whether the movie has any
>persuasive effect on anti-feminists.

I'm not anti-feminist, but how do you mean "persuasive"? Converting them
to feminism? Making them at least acknowledge, if not accept, feminism?

Very interesting e-mail, Catherine. Thanks.

-Sean