Re: [*FSFFU*] Re[2]: SF and Ecology, and travel restrictions

From: Jill Gillham (jilkey@GRFN.ORG)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 10:53:42 PDT

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, CMUNSON wrote:

> This new license to fly is a big hassle. Before I flew out to San
> Francisco from DC in June, I had to spend an entire afternoon going to
> the drivers license bureau to get my license renewed. Not an easy
> thing to go do when you don't own a car. I almost forgot to do it too,
> since I don't own a car and my license had just expired.

One of my profs in grad school was a big supporter of privacy rights, and
she absolutely despises the rule. Her theory was that it was a way for
airlines to pcik up extra money because:

1. Most tickets are sold as non-transferable.
2. In order to change that it costs at least $50
3. Therefore, it was in the airlines best interest to make sure that the
person using the ticket was the person they sold it to.

Photo matching has its economic uses as well as preventing any alleged
terrorism. The prof also had a story about how she managed to bully her
way onto the plane without showing any photo id, but I can't remember the
details.

ObFemSF: as long as we're talking about those neato U.S. government
policies, anyone else see a scary parallel between the "workfare workers
shouldn't get minimum wage" arguments, and some of Octavia Butler's stuff?

Jill Gillham
jilkey@grfn.org jillmari@aol.com http://members.aol.com/ferndock2
"Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."