Re: [*FSFFU*] Back to SF

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Sun Sep 07 1997 - 17:36:52 PDT

>> >Can we go back to discussing SF?
>
>I apologize for posting some more G.I.Jane messages after the
>listmistress's warning had been posted. I don't have a computer at home,
>and it takes time to read everything that has accumulated since the last
>time I
>checked, while I'm trying to answer the mail right away.
>
>However, I don't entirely understand the public irritation over the
>"off-subject" postings. If someone does not like a thread (or any of the
>existing ones) why would not she start one of her own, instead of getting
>upset that others do no post what she wants to read. This is not TV, if
>you don't like what's on, post something you do. Besides, DM's movie
>might not be sf, but it definitely was feminist, unless one believes that
>feminism must be exlusively pacifistic, ecological, and
>community-spirited, due to some to some mythically "different,
>non-violent nature of women". I don't mean to offend anyone, but
>presenting a subject that you _would_ like to see discussed is more
>likely to change the situation than whining that everyone is talking
>about something else.

Good idea.

 As for leaving the list, that is a rather pathetic
>form of protest, and would not change anything for sure. Just a thought,
>which I don't expect anyone to share, either.
>
>Marina

Marina and others,
        I see your point and agree at least partially. Leaving the list
would be like sticking your head in the sand if something was going on
round you that you didn't want to see rather than saying something about
it. Or like not voting if you don't like any of whatever election's
candidates.
        Still, I see Laura's point about wanting to keep the subjects so
those which concern feminism and SF, not one or the other.

-Sean