Re: [*FSFFU*] Average heights of women and men (was: GI Jane and

From: Lesley Hall (Lesley_Hall@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Mon Sep 08 1997 - 14:02:37 PDT

>Re this discussion: in many many societies the difference in height and
>strength of men and women has been probably due less to relative frequency of
>picking up and more to do with the allocation of food resources within the
>family; i.e. female members get less to eat (assumption that they *need*
less) [rest snipped]
> Lesley
> Lesley_Hall@classic.msn.com

>Okay, so why are most women in this, the world's most diverse, culture
>usually shorter than men, as well as weaker in the upper body?

>-Sean?

a) you don't think there are cultural factors (e.g fear of fatness) which
might cause inadequate or at least less adequate nutrition of girl children in
'the world's most diverse culture'?
b) I'm not denying that there are _also_ other cultural influences.
c) shorter than which men? Even I, a mere 5ft 1 in female, encounter men who
are, without being persons of restricted growth, shorter than myself or very
little taller. Are we really talking about 'most' women and 'usually' shorter,
or is this just an assumption? What do the actual distributions of height, m &
f, look like? Is there such an enormous differential? I doubt it. What might
be the case is that there is in fact a far wider range of variation among men
(e.g. more likely to be v tall or short).
Lesley
Lesley_Hall@classic.msn.com