[*FSFFU*] New Female Identities (was average heights of women and men, which was GI Jane)

From: joanna goltzman (jgoltzma@IX.NETCOM.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 09 1997 - 08:24:55 PDT

Nalo Hopkinson wrote:

"To bring this back on topic, one of the more appealing speculative aspects
of feminist sf for me is the times when the literature allows me to imagine
what it would be like to be in a female body that is comfortable exercising
physical
mastery. For which you don't necessarily need superior strength, just
good training. That was one of the things I loved about the martial art
in Elizabeth Lyn's books. Men and women sparred together."

and Edrie J Sobstyl wrote:

"I too have found in sf an exploration of what it would be like to be a woman
and to have a body that you could actually USE - as something OTHER
than a thing to seduce or reproduce (not that those aren't perfectly
good uses, but they do tend to limit women)."

I am interested in what other people on this list have found SF lets them
imagine about women. One of the reasons I am so interested in feminist SF is
that it creates new female identities. Imagining women in non-traditional
ways is one step along the way to changing traditional views of women.

Joanna