Re: [*FSFFU*] New Female Identities (was average heights of wome

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 11 1997 - 20:21:51 PDT

> They make a lot of noise because they are extremely high strung,
>not because
>they are not tough. Would you want to take on a rat as big as you are?
>
> Pat also says, "I don't make a lot of noise. I'm really very
>quiet." Which
>is true, though I have a wonderful story involving Patrick and Harlan
>Ellison.
>
> All best, Eleanor A.

Eleanor,
        Okay, what I was trying to say was that I subscribe to the idea
that truly strong and tough people don't need to yell and make a bunch of
noise. I'm thinking of Clint Eastwood here, whose characters I consider
the toughest I've seen. It's easy to tune out somebody yelling since we
live in a noisy world, but try tuning out silence or a whisper. In my
case, I automatically strain to hear it. It's a convoluted issue, I
suppose, but to bring it to FemSF, in my stories, I try to make my female
characters who are tough be as quiet, menacingly so, as possible not
because I don't want to hear from them but because I believe, clichéd as it
is, that actions speak louder than words.

-Sean