Re: [*FSFFU*] Ada Lovelace: was: Re: New Female Identities

From: Nalo Hopkinson (bl213@FREENET.TORONTO.ON.CA)
Date: Fri Sep 12 1997 - 05:06:30 PDT

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Michael Marc Levy wrote:

> Wasn't it typical of Victorian medical idiocy (at least as applied to
> women of the middle and upper classes) to treat even a healthy
> pregnancy as if it were a severe illness and attempt to severely curtail
> the woman's lifestyle?

NH: This was a doctor in 1998, instructing the protagonist (the scientist
who's trying to recreate Ada).

But yes, the film does at one point show bits of Ada's life in her time,
and quite vividly depicts her doctor's attitude to women and pregnancy.

-nalo

"There are two kinds of dates; the kind that you go out with, and the
small fruit that you eat."
                                -my aunt