Re: [*FSFFU*] Crossing Press, et al

From: Pat (mathews@unm.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 12 1997 - 09:08:50 PDT

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Berni Phillips wrote:

> Rudy Leon wrote:
>
> > I'm Rudy Leon, and I am a grad student in religion,
> > American religion and New Religious Movements, at Syracuse U., and this
> > semester I am teaching a course on Religion in Feminist Utopian Fantasy
> > Novels. We just finished Herland, and this next couple of weeks are doing
> > Wanderground (Gearhart) and Suzie Charnas' Walk to the End of the World and
> > Motherlines.

        Rudy - you'll also want to get THE FURIES, the last book in the
series. The Riding Women and Free Fems go back to reconquer Holdfast and
some serious moral issues (as in the French Revolution and its aftermath)
come up.

  We'll also be reading Dispossessed; Woman on the Edge of
> > Time; Marraiges Between Zones 3, 4, 5; Fifth Sacred Thing; Handmaid's Tale;

        Back up HANDMAID"S TALE with Robert Heinlein"s REVOLT IN 2100. Same
culture, opposite ends of the arc ... and Atwood has never read Heinlein
in her life. Also they made a film of HANDMAID's TALE which to my mind is
cleaner and neater and a better story than the book. Try to rent it.

> and Gate to Women's Country.

        GATE TO WOMEN"S COUNTRY is absolutely the best feminist post-toastie
I've ever read. It's also a parable on the sins of well-meaning rulers.

I am actually really curious if this seems
> > like a cliched list to people 'in the know'. The students also have to do
> > a comparative study with an 'outside' book, most likely one of the ones I
> > ended up deciding not to use for the class, or any sugegestions that I hear
> > here.
>
> Unless your students are really devoted to the genre, I doubt very much
> if they will have read many or even a few of these. This looks like a
> good selection for your topic, in my opinion. Welcome. I'd be curious
> to hear periodically how your students respond to the various books.
>
> Berni

Patricia (Pat) Mathews
mathews@unm.edu