Re: [*FSFFU*] Crossing Press, et al

From: Kloss, Ingrid B. (kloss@ROO.SUSQU.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 18 1997 - 13:47:39 PDT

Like Rudy, I am also new to the list and have been wading through
everyone's comments, waiting to find a thread. My name is Ingrid Kloss
and I am a senior English/Theatre Arts major at Susquehanna University
(in the middle of Pennsylvania...rural Pennsylvania!). My favorite
English class here at SU was Utopian Literature, a wonderfully small
class in which we read most of the books on your list, Rudy--"Herland",
"Woman on the Edge of Time," in addition to some standards like More's
"Utopia" which started the course. Having read "The Handmaid's Tale"
and "The Disposessed" on my own, I found that I got a lot more out of
the course and frequently made comparisons back to literature by LeGuin,
and others--including Anne McCaffrey, who, although she is not an author
to hold up as a feminist role model, I enjoyed her books when I was
younger and can definitely credit her with igniting my love for the
genre.

I apologize for the lateness of this message. One of the problems of a
small school is that the network is frequently down, or the computer
labs are terribly full!