[*FSFFU*] Crossing Press, et al

From: DAVID CHRISTENSON (LDQT79A@PRODIGY.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 16 1997 - 08:36:13 PDT

-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Mention of Susanna Sturgis on this list reminded me that I have a book
edited by her, "The Women Who Walk Through Fire," on my stack of to-read
books here. It sparked my curiosity - I understand Crossing Press
regularly has several F/SF titles in its catalogue. Interesting that
this specialty press should publish genre material - it made me wonder
about the intended audience, and the interaction (if any) between this
small press and the bigger world of SF.

Does this book's subtitle, "Women's Fantasy & SF" signify something
about the material other than the fact that it's written by women (as
"women's music" seems to)? Are books by Crossing Press and others (Naiad
?) getting respect in the SF field? I'm also wondering how these small
feminist presses are faring in the current publishing upheavals, if
anybody has any inside info.

--
David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

"Yet, throughout the book there exists the whole gamut of strange facts which we ourselves had been aware of for years, all carefully mustered to support a theory doomed by every process of logic to be forever incomprehensible." - Ray Palmer