Re: [*FSFFU*] Gender attitudes in the Middle East/Indian subcontinent (was On Femininity and SF -Reply)

From: Lesley Hall (Lesley_Hall@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Sep 18 1997 - 12:59:16 PDT

This thread may be getting a bit off the list topic but re the recent
discussions about gender attitudes in Turkey/the Islamic world generally, my
experiences (as a 5 ft 1 in European woman) when I was travelling (not as
hippy back in the old days of the hippy trail but on sabbatical leave from my
then job to look at various archives) in Afghanistan, Pakistan and India in
the late 70s in 3 different countries may be of some interest.
        In Afghanistan, at least in Kabul, I was largely ignored. One rather elderly
man in Herat was, I think in retrospect, trying to pick me up, but was not
aggressive about it. There was a spooky moment or two in Kandahar when the
coach deposited me and the Indian woman with whom I was travelling in the main
square after curfew, and we were escorted to the archaeologists' dig house
where we were staying by the military, but our treatment was impeccably
courteous.
        In Pakistan, where I was travelling alone although I had official contacts in
all places I went, a lot of calling out in the streets (and in one case at an
airport where I was trying to check in, but was rescued by a Pakistani
matriarch who gave them whatfor very loudly herself and escorted me to the
purdah waiting area), but the only serious hands-on sexual harassment I
experienced was in fact from one of my official contacts! It was a time
(during the military regime) when buses, trains, etc all had special purdah
seats (and even some university libraries), and women were only seen in public
in groups.
        In India (I can only really speak for New Delhi) there was not the sense of
purdah which there had been in Pakistan (and which had been much less in
evidence in Afghanistan, at least in Kabul), but much more specific and hard
to repel pick-up attempts in the streets. Not of course an Islamic culture,
though perhaps more influenced by it than South India?