Re: [*FSFFU*] height and gender bodies - Xena

From: Luz Guerra (lguerra@IBM.NET)
Date: Fri Sep 12 1997 - 16:58:04 PDT

Maryelizabeth Hart wrote:

> >On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Luz Guerra wrote:
> ><snip>
> >

> >> I find XENA entertaining on various levels, and I love the size
> >> difference between the powerful (butch?) Xena and her diminuitive female
> >> companion -- who Xena almost always defers to on matters of heart/spirit
> >> (true power?).
> >
> >What do you think about Callisto? She seems a better warrior than
> >Gabrielle, and a thinner/younger/more attractive woman than Xena. She's also
> >evil. Sometimes I wonder if a young attractive blonde who fights better than
> >men _could_ be cast as a good character (apart from the impression than the
> >woman who plays Callisto is a way better actress than Lucy Lawless, with
> >all due respect). Or is it imperative that a girl who's strong, smart, and
> >beautiful, has to be a bitch?
> >
> >Marina
>
> Marina:
>
> Actually, I think that Callisto basically represents an un-reformed Xena.
> She is just blonde for contrast. :) Remember, Xena started as an evil
> character. Gabrielle was originally Xena's conscience, a la J. Cricket, and
> not meant to have any fighting skills.
>
> When they bring Callisto back in the next season, they better dump those
> dumb green contacts she acquired when she became a goddess. I love her look
> with blonde hair and brown eyes!
>
> BTW, my son, almost 3, very into superheroes, occasionally pretends to be
> Xena, complete with yiyiyiyiyiyiyi cry, but I have never seen him be
> Hercules. :)

Maybe it is imperative that a "girl" who's strong, smart and beautiful
has to be a bitch -- Xena is, as a woman, given deference by men as an
honorary male, thus avoiding the bitch role. I get the impression from
Callisto (and I've only seen a few segments with her in them) that her
role is the exagerated bad girl, which is the only role open to her
since there can only be one honorary male (Xena). Virgin. Mother.
Whore/Bitch. Witch/Crone. All accounted for.

My 13-year old son, when three, shocked a baby sitter when she suggested
he play Superman and he exclaimed, no, i want to be Wonder Woman!
(pre-Xena). I consulted him on the Callisto-as-bad-girl question and he
shrugged and said Callisto is cool. He prefers X-men's Storm.