Re: [*FSFFU*] Wonder Woman (was Re: Are we talking about Feminist SF?)

From: Luz Guerra (lguerra@ibm.net)
Date: Thu Sep 18 1997 - 05:27:01 PDT

DAVID CHRISTENSON wrote:

> -- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
>
> Emrah said:
>
> > I feel that this whole discussion about sports, muscles, power, comic
> heroes,
> > is going a bit (to be modest) far away from our main topic.
>
> Aren't comic books a legit topic? Wonder Woman, at least? Wonder Woman
> was conceived as a sort of feminist comic book, way back in the '40s, a
> real standout in that era. (If anybody has a collection of these early
> stories, I'd like to trade for it.) I was wondering how comics fans on
> the list felt about the treatments of the character since that time,
> particularly the current series which I believe is being done by John
> Byrne. Worth checking out?
>
> --
> David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com
>
> "Yet, throughout the book there exists the whole gamut of strange facts
> which we ourselves had been aware of for years, all carefully mustered
> to support a theory doomed by every process of logic to be forever
> incomprehensible."
> - Ray Palmer

Comic book heroes were my entry point to science fiction -- along with
the Star Trek series on TV. They led me to the classics. AND having
strong female characters visible (I remember the wall of comic books in
my neighborhood newstand that were dominated by images of men and war --
except Veronica & Betty, need I say more?) as a young girl I was drawn
towards these potentially feminist characters.

luz