Re: [*FSFFU*] economics

From: Lesley Hall (Lesley_Hall@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Sep 24 1997 - 11:32:15 PDT

Re lack of sound economic substructure in fantasy worlds: see Diana
Wynne-Jones's hilarious 'The Tough Guide to Fantasy Land', which is also
scathing about the non-functional eco-systems
Lesley
Lesley_Hall@classic.msn.com

Debra Euler wrote
As an editor (assistant, anyway), I read so many
manuscripts and published books, in both the fantasy and SF genres,
where the writer came up with a lovely original conceit , but could
only come up with a world where no one or no society could support
themselves. It drives me bonkers! One of the current World Fantasy
Award nominees is in this category. I'm not saying that every short
story or even every novel has to go into exhaustive detail about
economics, but if you're going to postulate a world where it is
winter all the time, I'm going to wonder what people eat!

Debra Euler