Re: [*FSFFU*] _Courtship Rite_

From: Lesley Hall (Lesley_Hall@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Sep 26 1997 - 11:56:53 PDT

        the nominees in 1983 were:

Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov (Doubleday)
The Pride of Chanur by C. J. Cherryh (DAW)
2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke (Del Rey)
Friday by Robert Heinlein (Holt, Rinehart, and Winston)
Courtship Rite by Donald Kingsbury (Timescape)
Sword of the Lictor by Gene Wolfe (Timescape)
        [snip]

given that we are on FEMINISTSF, what do feminists
today make of FRIDAY? It's the only one of the six with a female
protagonist, I think.

Edward James

While I have not recently reread Cherryh's Chanur sequence, I seem to recall
that the protagonists were Hani (?sp.), felinoid and mostly female, since in
their culture females went out and traded and males stayed home and defended
their territory. There was a single human male who played a significant part
in the action.
Lesley
Lesley_Hall@classic.msn.com