Re: [*FSFFU*] Friday

From: Nalo Hopkinson (bl213@FREENET.TORONTO.ON.CA)
Date: Fri Sep 26 1997 - 13:58:59 PDT

All I remember about Friday is throwing it across the room. I'd loved
Heinlein as a younger woman, but I was a dawning feminist, and by the
time I read Time Enough For Love, I was beginning to critique his
characterization of women, and it was starting to bug me. Friday was the
last straw.

Anyone remember a scene in, I think, Time Enough For Love, where a young
woman is about to give birth on a spaceship? The main character has her
sit in birthing position in her lover's arms, then as she feels what is
only her second contraction, he cranks the gravity up to maximum, and the
baby 'pops out of her like a watermelon seed.' Which Heinlein described
as being a somewhat startling, but to all evidences painless experience.

-nalo