[*FSFFU*] Friday

From: Nicole Youngman (NYOUNGMAN@aol.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 1997 - 11:23:13 PDT

<< And, incidentally, given that we are on FEMINISTSF, what do feminists
 today make of FRIDAY? It's the only one of the six with a female
 protagonist, I think.

I didn't like it at all. I read it a couple of years ago after a friend
suggested it since it had a strong female lead character. Let me see if I
remember correctly: she had some sort of father figure she worked for who
provided a good chunk of her self-worth, she went through the usual
"am-I-really-human" angst; and at the end she was forcibly inseminated, then
decided to bear the child anyway, deciding in the process that she was, in
fact, human since she could be a mother, and settled down as a colonist and
joined the PTA and whatever else.

Saved thru childbearing?? Sorry, doesn't make it as feminist IMHO.

Nicole