Re: [*FSFFU*] Friday

From: Nicole Youngman (NYOUNGMAN@AOL.COM)
Date: Fri Sep 26 1997 - 18:12:30 PDT

<<
         EEEYOWWCH! Perhaps the childbirth thing is why women tend to have
 higher pain thresholds than men. Anybody know if this (about pain
 thresholds) is true or false? >>

I've been discussing the use of sports to socialize us into gender roles with
my students, and one of them suggested the other day that women wouldn't be
able to handle the pain of playing football--injuries etc--since they have a
*lower* threshold of pain. I said "well, they seem to make it through
childbirth" and got some laughter. It amazes me what they'll say sometimes.

Nicole