Re: [*FSFFU*] What do women want? Power?

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Fri Sep 26 1997 - 22:47:04 PDT

>Must a strong female character always want power? Or do circumstances
>thrust the need for it upon her?
>
>Marilyn Nulman

Marilyn,
         Nope. In my stuff, the strong female characters usually don't
give two hoots for power in the traditional male-oriented version. I try
to posit the belief that strength comes not from power but power from
strength. Also, there's a difference between strength and power. In my
stuff, strength might equal ability to have control of a thing versus
control over a thing. Something like that. I'll need to mull it over to
get it just right.
        Anyway, so where's strength come from? Uhh...lemme think about
that'un too.
        Interesting, though, would be other peoples' definitions of
strength vs. power. Maybe strength lasts longer? Like a distance runner's
strength vs. a sprinter's power? Websters has them as synonyms, but there
are subtle differences.

-Sean