[*FSFFU*] What do women want? Power?

From: Marilyn Nulman (mnulman@CURTISLIBRARY.COM)
Date: Fri Sep 26 1997 - 21:24:09 PDT

Reading the posts about women in Heinlein and Dune made me think that many
people (men?) seem to assume that women in general want the same kinds of
power that men usually seem to want, visible power, power over others, power
as an end in itself. That they try to get power over others by stealth
because they're not strong enough to get it by force. I think of the
powerful women in sf and find some who do this, like the women behind the
Gate to Women's Country, and others who don't, like the old woman of Remnant
Population who only wants to be left alone to cultivate her garden.

Must a strong female character always want power? Or do circumstances
thrust the need for it upon her?

Marilyn Nulman