Re: [*FSFFU*] Cyberpunk

From: Nalo Hopkinson (bl213@FREENET.TORONTO.ON.CA)
Date: Sun Oct 19 1997 - 18:08:36 PDT

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Lesley Hall wrote:

>the three Wilhelmina(?) Baird novels _Clipjoint_,
_Psychosis_, > >and ???, and I must say that I don't really think of them
as >cyberpunk. I > have also had trouble pinning "feminist" on them,
either. >If someonehas > classified them as feminist cyberpunk, I'd like
to know >why... ;-)

> I can't think why either! Good reads (though the last vol I thought an
> absolute cop-out), but not feminist

NH: Wasn't the first one called _Crash Course?_ If so, I read them, too.
I don't think they were particularly trying to be feminist. Good point,
there weren't many female characters other than the protagonist; I hadn't
thought of that. I found them to be good reads too, though I think the
third one was attenuated. For me, one of the most interesting things
about them was the triad in which the main character lives. But I found I
wasn't entirely convinced by the description of it. I *hope* I'm talking
about the same novels as everyone else...

-nalo