Re: [*FSFFU*] raising kids (not sf)

From: Donna L. Hall (adonna@JUNO.COM)
Date: Sun Oct 19 1997 - 12:24:02 PDT

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997 13:16:30 -0400 "Laur, Erin M." <laur@ROO.SUSQU.EDU>
writes:
>>I've seen a daycare like that in Oklahoma, by the way. Just a woman
>>(a white middle-class American) who looks after a group of kids in
>her own
>>house. And whatever big money parents are paying, it's all hers. Why
>>could not others do that? Daycares are not like Welfare programs or
>>charities, they do not have to be established by the government or
>>supported by big businesses. Anyone can do it.
>>

>But this is exactly the reason that, unless I knew the "babysitter"
>personally, I would not want to use daycare like this for my children.
>*Anyone* can do it. That includes a wide variety of people I would
>not
>want caring for my children. A lot of the sexual abuse in daycare
>stories that circulate are BS, but that doesn't mean that it (and a
>horrible variety of other things) doesn't happen.
> Erin

Jumping in on an off-topic conversation (sorry) to add a bit. In
California, at least
a child care home has to be inspected and licensed. I'm not following
this thread
closely, but isn't it true that in many other societies, children are
raised or looked
after by other than the nuclear family group? And (bringing it to the
topic) didn't
Suzy Charnes' Trilogy (Walk to the End of the World, Motherlines, and
The Furies)
mention a group involvment in raising a child, in which the child was
raised
by more than her biological mother? It seems to me that the main
character's
child was raised this way, and thus incorporated into the culture of the
Riding
Women.