Re: [*FSFFU*] Tolkien

From: Geoffrey D. Sperl (gamgee@GEOCITIES.COM)
Date: Thu Oct 16 1997 - 22:04:33 PDT

MARINA YERESHENKO wrote:

> About Tolkien, I found Sam kind of boring, honestly. I was always
> wondering whether he was going to get sick of babysitting Frodo and
> do something for himself

<arrrrgggghhh> Sam loves gardening. I'm not going to get into it about class,
etc. Sam loves gardening - it's almost unbelievable to him, becuase he gets
paid to do something he'd gleefully do for free.

Or is it too much to think that some of us who do manual labor may enjoy it?

(Oh, boy...incoming...duck 'n' cover!)

Maybe Sam is a proto-Martha Stewart. In Sam I see the finest of the hobbits.
So he's boring...I'd rather be boring than the center of a ringwraith's attention.

- Geoffrey