Re: [*FSFFU*] Tolkien

From: MARINA YERESHENKO (my0203@BRONCHO.UCOK.EDU)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 19:36:26 PDT

Yvonne,
Unfortunately, I haven't read the books you mentioned, _The History of
Their Own_, and _The Lions of Al-Rassan_. However, I think I've read the
series about a detective-monk. Was his name Father Brown? I liked those
stories a because they had a sense of humor, which is pretty rare in
detective novels.

About Tolkien, I found Sam kind of boring, honestly. I was always
wondering whether he was going to get sick of babysitting Frodo and do
something for himself, because he was stronger and in a lot of ways
smarter than the other hobbits. Although, at the end he proved to be more
practical and enterprising than all three of the "noble" ones, who always
looked down on him.

I liked the battle scenes, though. I just wish there were more women
engaged in them than just Eowyn and only when her heart was broken.

Marina

        "Femininity is code for femaleness plus whatever society
           happens to be selling at the time."
                                                Naomi Wolf