Re: [*FSFFU*] raising kids (not sf?)--long

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 20 1997 - 23:13:44 PDT

What I am trying to say
>is that a lot of parents I've met who bent over backwards trying to be
>non-traditional, and considered "making something" of their children the
>central goal of their lives, would do the greatest favor to their children
>by just letting them be and getting on with their own lives. I am sure
>there are exceptions. But I am afraid, they just prove the rule.

Marina,
        I'd modify the sentence to say, "let them be themselves". As it
stands, it could be interepreted as, "Let them alone" as in "leave them
alone" as in "ignore them" as in 'neglect them'.

-Sean

"There is no indignity in being afraid to die, but there is a terrible
shame in being afraid to live."--'Ariden' in "Dr. Who"