Re: [*FSFFU*] Tolkien

From: Yvonne Rowse (yvonne@HALLSFARM.SOFTNET.CO.UK)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 01:07:25 PDT

Hi Geoffrey

> Excuse me, but Samwise was not gay...he does have a family back in the
Shire
> (only hobbit I can think of who's married).

You're right. Sorry. Speaking of which, does anyone know how dwarves
reproduced? As far as I recall there was never any sign of female dwarves.
Is Terry Pratchett right? All dwarves have beards and have to spend months
diplomatically working out the sex of the other before propositioning them?
Must make for a very complicated sex life.

  And I wouldn't go so far to call
> him subservient...yes, he had a great loyalty to both Bilbo and Frodo,
but
> that's because they let him work at what he loved: the garden.

You're probably right again. Sam is certainly a very conmpetant,
self-sufficient hobbit. I don't like the way Merry & Pippin talk to him
though. Of course, I've never had a servant so perhaps that's what grates.

Yvonne