[*FSFFU*] Tolkien

From: Rhian Merris (RHIAN.M.MERRIS@CPMX.MAIL.SAIC.COM)
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 05:57:00 PST

Corene:
Just a quick note here, since this is now off-topic. I'll respond in
more detail privately. At any rate, thanks for the further explanation

Corene McKay wrote:

 ----------
And I didn't mean pedestrian as in unimaginative, I meant it as in more
down-to-earth, less over-the-top poetic. Er, less "Hallmarkish," shall we
say.
 ----------

Ah. Good, good. That, in fact, is Tolkien's intent - particularly in
The Hobbit. A "hallmark" :) of Tolkien's writing is to tell the grandest
of stories without losing a down-to-earth feel. I think it's
tremendously effective at welcoming the reader into something that
otherwise might feel very self-indulgent, and caught up in its own
grandeur.

Anyway, I took your original comment, without context as it was, to mean
pedestrian in the sense of common, unremarkable; rather than the sense of
down-to-earth. Thanks.

Rhian
rhian.m.merris@cpmx.saic.com