Re: [*FSFFU*] empowerment of children

From: Allen Briggs (briggs@PUMA.MACBSD.COM)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 06:36:46 PDT

> Afew months ago I founfd myself re-reading Heinlein's The Star Beast as an
> adult and was struck by the off-handed way he slipped in a reference to
> children divorcing their parents. reminded me of the flap over Hillary
> Clinton's supposed endorsement of that idea.

I hadn't heard about the First Lady's "supposed endorsement of that
idea". I do recall in _Grumbles_, though, that there was a lot of heat
from Heinlein's editor at Scribner's about that. He tended to have a
lot of trouble with Scribner's. I don't know if any of his "juvenile"
books were non-controversial. You have sparked the question for me,
though... Did Heinlein treat women and children (going on the theory
that children are marginalized similarly to women or to how women have
been) differently? I.e., did he deal with their marginalization in
similar ways (making the assumption that he tried to "de-marginalize"
them)? Something to think about, perhaps.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com