Re: [*FSFFU*] Tolkien

From: Joel VanLaven (jvl@OCSYSTEMS.COM)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 07:27:59 PDT

My friend had some sort of record of lotr thtat we listened to when I was
a kid. I didn't think it was that long but it might have been. Anyway,
it left me with the greatest feminist impression because the one segement
that I loved and can still remember today is when some evil bad demon or
something meets ?his? doom at the hands of a woman:

"Dost thou not know the scriptures? No mortal man may hinder meeee!"

"But I am not a man, I am a woman!"

"Aaaiiieeeeee" (basically a death wail from the bad thing)

The voice of the evil thing was great, I can still hear it but not
reproduce it. Anyway, I often think about that passage when
people discuss the sexism in the word man/men meaning both males
specifically and males and females generally.

-- Joel VanLaven