Re: [*FSFFU*] Butler's Dawn

From: Neil Rest (NeilRest@TEZCAT.COM)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 10:32:39 PDT

"Jana C. McCormick" <Mcfynnan@AOL.COM> wrote:

>-Our society reveres courage, perseverence, ambition and intelligence above
>all things, as most societies.

I'm not so sure about the "most societies" part. Are you familiar at all
with the Yiddish idioms (though everything in Yiddish is an idiom) "mensch"
or "shayner yid"?

> There is the question of true altruism.

One of the "three things which sustain the world" in Judaism is charity.
Maimonides distinguishes eight (IIRC) levels of charity, the higher being
more completely anonymous.

Again, it has been said that where our culture's purpose is to maximize
Gross Product, the purpost of the culture of Tibet is to maximize compassion.

Neil Rest
NeilRest@tezcat.com