Re: [*FSFFU*] Marina and tizzy

From: Allen Briggs (briggs@PUMA.MACBSD.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 24 1997 - 07:08:09 PDT

> What is it that Marina's done that's got some people in such a
> tizzy? Was it that some of her comments cut too close to the bone, or that
> they might not have seemed well-informed enough? What happened?

I think that Maryelizabeth put her finger pretty close to the mark.
I think that it's partially personal and perhaps partially cultural.
Marina has strong opinions, makes no excuses for them, and does not
state that other opinions exist and are valid (although she has stated
separately that that's the case).

I certainly value Marina's contributions to this list, and I expect
others do, too. I think that the child-rearing thread has degenerated
past usefulness--especially for the FEMINISTSF list, though. Of course,
people are welcome to split hairs or whatever off the list if they
disagree... ;-)

Some of these topics are very sensitive, especially because stereotypes
are prevalent and unpleasant for homeschoolers, single parents, in-home
daycare, etc.

Of course, in case it's not clear, this is all my opinion.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com