Re: [*FSFFU*] Octavia Butler

From: Pamela Bedore (pebedore@sfu.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 27 1997 - 12:10:28 PST

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Sean Johnston wrote:

> New potential thread, although I've probably asked this before: what is it
> about Butler's work that makes is so important, so literary and so readable
> all at the same time? I.E. Opinions on what makes her so good? I'm not
> trying to dissect her writing. I just like talking about her.
>
> -Sean

I too love Butler's writing. I think part of her appeal is that she's
coming at interesting issues from a post-colonial as well as a feminist
perspective. For example, in the Xenogenesis series (my favourite of her
works) she sets up a situation that is really similar to the colonization
model, except that it is humans as a race that are being colonized.

In "Bloodchild" she sets up a male as having to bear an incredible burden
of labour - again, the humans are the oppressed, as a race.

I like the way she turns things on their heads. And of course, her
characters are wonderful.

I haven't been able to find many of her earlier novels. I'd love some
tips...

pamela bedore
department of english
simon fraser university

But play, you must, A tune beyond us, yet ourselves,
A tune upon the blue guitar Of things exactly as they are
                                -Wallace Stevens