Re: [*FSFFU*] hard tech novels

From: Michael Marc Levy (levymm@UWEC.EDU)
Date: Tue Oct 28 1997 - 21:05:39 PST

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, silk wrote:

> I've got a request for list members. I was planning on teaching Kim
> Stanley Robinson's _Red Mars_, but my university bookstore can't get it
> (although it was in print when I ordered it). I was wondering if any of
> you had any suggestions for a moderately feminist or at least humanist,
> recent (last decade or so) SF novel that deals with hard technology and is
> *not* cyber-anything. I've got a couple of cyberpunk novels on the course
> already, so I really need a replacement that's currently available (in
> Canada) and preferably in a mass market format. If anyone has any ideas,
> I'd be grateful.
>
> Wendy Pearson
> Cultural Studies
> Trent University

Some possibilities, not all of which will appeal to everyone. All are at
least humanist with a touch of feminism. All are at least moderately hard
SF with a tech component.

Greg Bear's Moving Mars--humanist, female protagonist, fairly hard sf
Lois McMaster Bujold's Falling Free--quite hard sf, much more so than
        Bujold's later work
Greg Egan's Distress--may be in mass market British edition
Nicola Griffith's Slow River--may be your best choice--in mass market
James Patrick Kelly's Wild Life
Nancy Kress' Beggars in Spain and sequels
Maureen McHugh's China Mountain Zhang
Melissa Scott--Night Sky Mine--another goood choice if the paperback is
        available
Joan Slonczewski--Daughter of Elysium--probably OP
Sage Walker--Whiteout--a good choice, but it probably only exists in a
        Trade PB

Hope one of these works for you.

Mike Levy