[*FSFFU*] hard tech novels

From: silk (silk@PIPCOM.COM)
Date: Tue Oct 28 1997 - 19:20:40 PST

I've got a request for list members. I was planning on teaching Kim
Stanley Robinson's _Red Mars_, but my university bookstore can't get it
(although it was in print when I ordered it). I was wondering if any of
you had any suggestions for a moderately feminist or at least humanist,
recent (last decade or so) SF novel that deals with hard technology and is
*not* cyber-anything. I've got a couple of cyberpunk novels on the course
already, so I really need a replacement that's currently available (in
Canada) and preferably in a mass market format. If anyone has any ideas,
I'd be grateful.

Wendy Pearson
Cultural Studies
Trent University