Re: [*FSFFU*] polygraph/ fem/sf

From: Michael Marc Levy (levymm@UWEC.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 03 1997 - 22:26:48 PST

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, patricia johnston wrote:

> Hi All,
> There is some controversy about allowing polygragh tests into court as
> evidence. My question is,,,,,where do we go from polygraph tests? For
> example in Heinleins, Revolt in 2100, truth serum is allowed by (their
> government) to elicite information from malfactors. In In M. Bradley
> Kelloggs, Rumor of Angels, the prisoners of the "wards" are tranquied to
> keep them submisive. Does anyone have other books in mind re fem/sf that
> addresses this issue. I guess what I am trying to say, is,,,,,in the near
> future will Govt. approve any means to elicite truth, chemical methods
> included.
> Patricia.

It isn't particularly feminist, but a recent novel on this very subject
is James Halperin's The Truth Machine. I didn't like it all that much
when I reviewed it for Publishers Weekly, but it's getting a lot of press
and selling a fair number of copies.

Then there's Jim Carrey's film Liar, Liar!

Mike Levy