[*FSFFU*] Gibbon's Decline and Fall

From: Jana C. McCormick (Mcfynnan@AOL.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 07 1997 - 21:19:50 PST

I found this an insightful novel. I appreciate the statements concerning
female oppression and religion. I love the "Hail Mary Assumption" but I
thought the ending and, especially, the character of Webster a cop-out.
Why did this evil character, similar to the devil, have to be in the book? I
felt this was an example of how we, as humans, want to blame our own behavior
on a higher power instead of taking responsibility for it.

The example of women's exclusion from religion is enough of an example for me
of how men believe women are inferior. Even in this enlightened age, we have
come a long way but not long enough (it is quite amazing when you think back
50 or just 20 years ago), women like myself still accept oppression,
especially in religion. Perhaps, that is part of the reason religion appears
to be in decline among younger generations.
If this is not so, I'm sure someone will enlighten me? In my viewpoint, the
younger (American) generation is not interested, a larger minority, in what
biases and prejudices religion has to offer.
Perhaps, I simply speak for myself. Many young people I know are not
interested in putting their disinterest into words.