[*FSFFU*] some intro, TV/movies

From: Barbara Benesch (BJBenesch@aol.com)
Date: Sat Nov 08 1997 - 03:25:03 PST

I kind of did this a while ago, but for the newer folks, here goes:

Barbara Benesch, 24, currently working as a temp and desperately looking for
a job in word processing/desktop publishing (my kingdom for a job of my
*own*!). Also living with my boyfriend of four years and wishing we could
afford a dog. I actually do read "voraciously" - my mother used to comment
that even cereal boxes weren't safe from me - and have been a feminist long
before I really understood what the word meant. I grew up a Girl Scout
(seriously, I was in for 13 years), and that's where a lot of my feminism
came from, long before my first women's studies class.

I went to Illinois State University for a few years until I realized I was
spending more time at my job with the student newspaper than on my homework,
at which point I left. While I was there, I was a double major in English
and biology, and got very interested in women's studies along the way. I
usually have several "soapboxes" going at any given time, but one of my most
consistent (they never really leave, just kind of fade into the background
for a while) is people who continue to allow "feminist" to be a dirty word,
while enjoying the benefits of feminism at every turn.

I live in central Illinois, and enjoy reading, writing (although I don't do
as much fiction writing of my own as I would like), entertaining my media
addiction (I try to keep it in check, or at least avoid those things which I
really detest, but I must admit it doesn't always work - for instance I'm
currently watching Tom & Jerry on Toon Network), and playing role playing
games. I also *love* anything to do with the outdoors.

Also, I'm very happy to be on this list, particulary with so many people who
are actually out there making a living writing science fiction/fantasy.
Perhaps it's not really *that* many, but since I hadn't actually thought I'd
get to meet any celebrities on the 'net (I'm showing my "awestruck fan" roots
here, I'm afraid), it seems like a lot. Regardless, I'm honored to share
list space with people who are actually *making* science fiction today.

Once again, more than some of you probably wanted to know, but it's me.

In a message dated 97-11-07 19:07:43 EST, Stephen Smith (Julien?) wrote:

> Though I do not read SF, I do watch a lot of it. I was kind of hoping
> people
> would be interested in discussing SF film. I got my BA in Art History and

> my
> MA in Religious Studies. Right now I'm taking some courses in photography

> and
> computers. I am also following a degree scheme in English (another MA).
> love literature, and my interests are in the revision of myth or fables.
> Furthermore, I am interested in the critical analysis of film and art. I
> also
> find cultural and social constructions of gender and sexuality
fascinating.
<snip>
> Julien

I too watch a great deal of sci-fi, both TV and film, and would be interested
in a list dealing with sf/fantasy TV and films and critical analysis of them,
with particular interest in the treatment of gender/sexuality. I don't know
if there are any out there, but perhaps if there isn't it's something that
maybe should be an off-shoot of this one or something (I'm still kind of a
novice at this sort of thing, so I'm speaking very much off-the-cuff here).

Barbara Benesch
BJBenesch@aol.com