Re: [*FSFFU*] Seven Years in Tibet (The Movie)

From: Becca Stoler (rstoler@MAILHOST.TCS.TULANE.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 08 1997 - 10:25:51 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Jana C. McCormick <Mcfynnan@aol.com>
To: FEMINISTSF@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU <FEMINISTSF@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU>
Date: Friday, November 07, 1997 11:22 PM
Subject: [*FSFFU*] Seven Years in Tibet (The Movie)

>Seven Years in Tibet, an excellent movie, is an example of how the
"teaching
>of compassion" depends upon the person and the setting/situation.
>>Neil Rest says:
>><< the purpost of the culture of Tibet is to maximize compassion.>>
>
>For instance, fear of foreigners kept the people from providing temporary
>assistance. Until one man stepped in...
>I don't want to ruin the story for anyone. It's in theaters now.
>This is a true story and, I believe a wonderful opportunity, politically,
for
>the people of Tibet to let Americans know what is going on. Americans are
>more likely to watch the movie than to seek out the few news reports
>concerning the oppression of people of Tibet and the Dalai Lama.

I agree, it was truly an excellent movie (even though it does star Brad
Pitt) It is on a par with Schindler's List, only easier to watch. I think
it is an excellent movie, that everyone should see. Perhaps even worthy of
the Best Picture award! (no, I don't work for any movie company, I am just
a college student.)

Becca