Re: [*FSFFU*] Starship Troopers

From: Stephen Smith (jrfss@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Sat Nov 08 1997 - 19:45:01 PST

I must report that just a few hours ago, I sat through "starship troopers."
First I would like to commend Verhoever for returning to a genre he does well.
 I think to appreciate the movie, you have to know some of his other
work...most notably "robocop" of which this movie most resembles. I don't
think that he was advocating violence, rather he is "taking the piss" (i don't
know a good American equivalent to this phrase...maybe satirizing) of
totalitarian, gung ho, I'm an American I'm going kick some alien butt
ideologies. I think like Cronenberg he stretches the violence to its
ultimate...not only for gross factor but to really evicerate his audience. If
"videodrome" has any wisdom, its that what we see on screen registers as a
kind of reality experience for us. War is grotesque and i think the movie
depicts the guts and gore of it. People don't go into battle and emerge
unscathed, they get limbs torn off or blown to bits. Verhoeven also follows
"robocop" by employing the news updates or propaganda updates. They are, I
think, not only showing what happens during wartime (remember the onslaught of
coverage of the gulf war?) but he is also making a statement about the role of
MEDIA in shaping peoples perceptions. In one scene a videographer keeps
shooting the carnage despite the risk...think about the crazed papparazi that
chase stars down the interstate at 100 miles an hour.
        I must also state that the females in the film don't fare that badly. There
are atleast ENOUGH of them. In Gattaca ok there are women in the ranks, but
they never say a word. Atleast these women can stand their own and in some
cases out rank the men. I thought the shower scene was also interesting, as
so many military films depict men as being slime of the earth. Sexually
harrassing at every turn or atleast drawing attention to the physical
differences (think GI JANE...she had to prove herself as a man to get that
respect) in this film, the women are one of the guys. I think that has
something to do with the Totalitarian or communist overtones...referring to
others as "citizen" rather than Mr or Miss.
        Has anyone read this Heinlein book? I would be interested to know how it
differs.
        Finally (yes I am going to stop soon) I agree with Barbara that those dying
words of Dis were INCREDIBLY stupid. I do disagree that the response "I'm
your girl" sounds dumb. Men say "im your man," so what is the difference?
        Overall I enjoyed the movie. At first it seems to be directed at the 16-18
crowd, as it has both an amazingly blemish free younger cast and
stereotypical teenage angst storylines; however the often gratuitous violence
rescues it from that.
        Anyone else for comment?
Julien