Re: [*FSFFU*] 7th Annual Cultural Studies Symposium, Religion, Leia, Starship , Troopers

From: Stephen Smith (jrfss@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Sat Nov 08 1997 - 19:59:00 PST

Susan:
I have heard a bit about Matthew Fox's writing, but have never read any. I
think he embraces a more holistic approach to deity doesn't he? I've seen him
written about along with Wiccans. I think the Catholic church chucked him
out. This is all coming off of a shaky memory.
        I also want to clarify this Leia issue. I don't think that anyone was
castigating her for that outfit. I was stating the issue, because that outfit
seems to be a kind of sexual turnon for men. I think my point was more what
people have made of the outfit rather than her wearing it. I don't know if
that was Lucas' way of sexualizing a "cold" female character. who knows. (she
does dress in white...hmmm.)
        Since you brought this one up...i'm curious...what do you think then about
dress and feminism? Do you think that dress isn't responsible for seeing
women as objects? Does dress matter? is it an issue? I think it must be in
some light. Merchandisers of really bad B movies know that they can increase
video sales of a movie with a no name cast, director, or scriptwriter simply
by putting a sexy, scantily clad woman on the cover of their box and mention
the words "hot, sexy..."etc. Clothes or lack there of must make some
impression upon the consumer.
        Julien
PS: Now whether we can castigate a woman for dressing like that to sell...well
that's another story;) This is a late response but I'm going to say it
anyhow...about the Uma Thurman character in Gattaca. I felt that yes she
stretched a bit beyond her role. However, I also was a bit bothered by the
lines (mentioned several times) "you look alright from where i'm standing"
She was to some degree a show piece, a beautiful object...remember the
ballroom scene?